View Single Post
Old 11-05-2015, 08:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Thank You guys for not seeing my previous post as "dragging garbage in the room" , I myself was worried that it would look bad so I changed it . But , since we all don't mind discussing it , heck yea I think overinflated Ebay listings do a terrible disservice to the hobby since most folks never look at completed sales when deciding on the price of something . Guys like Eric have half the world thinking their common as dirt AA5 sets are their ticket to Ebay gold , and it's these entry level sets that new folks in the hobby need to practice on . Now for sure anyone who regularly checks Ebay and all the other sites knows what the average set is worth but for every one of us I'll bet there are a hundred folks who've found an old radio in their basement/attic and thanks to Eric they think it's worth a fortune . At the end of the day I guess Jim is right about "buyer beware" it's just sad to see a hobby such as ours infiltrated by as Jim so aptly described "used car salesmen" types . Oh , one other thought here , Tubejunke is spot on about dishonest sellers shipping pre damaged goods specifically to get the shipper to eat the loss ! I know of a few instances myself of damaged goods showing up in perfect boxes , pre broken ....
Interesting that you mention that, because I once bought an old Grundig tabletop radio from someone on ebay once and when I looked at the pictures on the radio in question the radio wasn't damaged but when I got it in the mail the box wasn't damaged but yet the radio was, it had a couple of spots on it where the Bakelite (or whatever the German version of Bakelite was called) was broken in big chunks off of the sides of the rear of the cabinet, and then the fuse was missing, but of course I didn't know any better at the time so I just assumed it got damaged in the mail...