View Single Post
Old 07-25-2017, 01:03 PM
Administrator

It's a 2 meter Communicator IV. Pity that there's probably nobody I can talk to.....I don't even have any type of radio that receives 2m AM to check my transmit

I have to say that my romance with old ham gear is slowly coming to an end.

While I love the knobs and dials, and love restoring them back to peak operating condition, I'm learning the lesson that the performance of modern gear is far and away better for the most part. Top left of the first photo is the 2m rig that I've been trying to press into regular use.....a Heathkit HW-2036A. Done quite a bit of work to it too. Sadly everyone on the 2m nets thinks that the radio's off frequency, when what they're hearing is the 833 Hz tone from the VCO that gets into the audio. They were just like that. There's a mod to the radio that takes care of most of it, but after all the work I did getting it up and running my ambition is running out. But obviously it's not a frequency issue.....

A friend gave me a Yaesu FT-2400 that needed work. Amazing! I can access 21 repeaters now with higher transmit power and PL tones!! Needed dial lamps (converted it to LED which was no easy task), and the transmit audio was low, so I replaced the caps in the mic and now all I get is squeal. Ordered one from ebay for $18 shipped.

Once the Yaesu's back and rolling, it might be time to call it quits on the old stuff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1813.jpg (73.6 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1814.jpg (61.6 KB, 14 views)