View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 10:05 PM
RCA 741PCS

The amount of equipment in my workshop hit critical mass so I took some time to sort through it. I definitely have too many sweep generators so did a little comparison using an Admiral 20A1 chassis.

The contenders were:

Jackson TVG-2
Hickok 615
Eico 369
Wavetek 1002
Wavetek 1080

The 369 and Waveteks use post-marker injection while the others mix the marker in with the swept RF output. The Jackson and Hickok work OK, but the response curves are kind muddy looking and the markers are not very distinct.

The 369 works well, but mine is definitely out of calibration. Also, the sweep width is not as wide as it should be.

The Waveteks both work very well and have distinct markers. They have also built-in harmonic markers at 1, 10 and 50/100 Mhz. A jack is provided for an external marker.

Here's the setup I settled on. The Wavetek 1080 and a good old Heathkit IG-102 for the variable marker.
The 1002 works just as well and has a neat 'angle' marker feature, but is rather heavy and some of the jacks are inconveniently located in the back.

After following the alignment steps carefully, I was able to match the sevice manual pretty darn well

Last edited by bandersen; 03-25-2011 at 10:29 PM.