View Single Post
Old 06-08-2022, 10:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamamaya42 View Post
just a place to hide?
To hide yes because under the CT-100 it was pretty secluded. The previous owner obligingly left the cover off and the mice stuffed the underneath with tons of cotton which made it pretty cosy. I think the set was in a non temperature controlled environment from the look of it.

The problem is the mice appear untidy creatures as the unine soaked cotton against the steel chassis leads to pretty extensive corrosion. I would normally pass on a set in this condition but as this set is special and the CRT appers to have miraculously survived, the thorough overhaul of the affected region is justified. The aim will be to put it back together closely as possible the way it left the factory. With new capacitors, of course.

The rivets are scheduled to arrive on Monday which means I can begin rewiring the chassis once the tube sockets are back in place. I removed most of the IF strip as a loom only removing what was necessary to pull the assembly away. After a thorough wash, iit will be put back in place and connected,

Many of the components are salvagable after a wash. Many resistor leads and disc bypass capacitor leads were badly corroded. The Video IF decoupling capacitors are ceramic disc 820pf. DigiKey and Newark (I did not investigate Mouser this time lol) no longer carry the old style ceramic discs. I found a bag of old style ceramic disc 820pf on ebay and will use those as necessary. And the badly corroded carbon composition resistors will be replaced with identical looking carbon composition units.