View Single Post
Old 06-04-2022, 10:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Cleaning, cleaning, cleaning. The mice really did a number on this old set.

Making progress. Stripped off the old soldered connections from the tag strips. Repaired a couple of broken lugs. cleaned and repaired the wafer 7 pin tube sockets. The ceramic Cinch brand 7 in socket used for the 6AQ5 audio output tube was fractured and replaced it with a Cinch type bakelite type.

The 6th video IF amplifier phenolic wafer tube socket had became very brittle due to heat and snapped. I think it is because the tube is located in an unventilated little metal compartment. Replaced it with a Cinch bakelite type. Fortunately the tube pin layout and the mounting holes of the replacement matches perfectly the wafer socket.

Dismantled the rusted potentiometers where the mice nested. Used the electrolysis bath to remove the minor rust from shells affected. A badly rusted metal shell I replaced with one that matched from one I found in an old TV shop's hoard I picked up years ago. I was given a car load of old Cigar boxes filled with reclaimed vintage TV and Radio parts from a shop long closed. I am sure the previous owner of all these reclaimed parts must be smiling from heaven.

With the chassis derusted and components cleaned, reinstallation begins. Re-riveted in the tag strips and awaiting now the delivery of the 3/32" rivets to re-attach the wafer tube sockets.

Here are some before and current state photos of the now vacated mouse abode. Note that the red patches in the after photos are the copper plating that was originally between the base steel and top cadmium. The mouse corner has been fully derusted and any exposed steel coated in zinc paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Middle_Bottom.jpg (106.3 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Left.jpg (104.9 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg 20220604_222227.jpg (58.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 20220604_222538.jpg (54.5 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by Penthode; 06-05-2022 at 01:25 AM.