View Single Post
Old 09-19-2012, 08:36 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
Of COURSE you did diddle with the brightness/contrast just to make sure they aren't both all the way down. The "lines on the screen" seems to indicate you DO have HV...even if just for a second. You obviously DO have power as well. If you have full radio and can tune in a TV station even with only sound, you seem to have all the tuning. If you had SOMETHING and then suddenly NOTHING on the screen, this is "probably" not in the sweep circuits. A "vertical" problem would be a bright white HORIZONTAL line. A horizontal problem would be either a bright VERTICAL line or nothing at all (still possible). I would check the "pots" (variable resistors) for your brightness/contrast. Make sure those have not been loosened from the traces of the PC board by someone pushing on them real hard, etc. I suspect the "squeel" you hear for a fraction of a second is likely just the horizontal "coming up".....unless it sounds extremely odd and irritating. If you are still young (or haven't destroyed your hearing yet)....you may be like me and still can HEAR most analog TV sets running. If you don't hear this when watching an NTSC set...then you may just be hearing THAT circuit "ramping up" to it's normal frequencies.

Of course without a schematic.....you sorta hafta KNOW what sort of "landmarks" to look for that indicate what section of the set you are looking at.

I still suspect a physical break somewhere. Check those pots, check the traces all around those. You may wanna just touch up all the (usually three) solder points under each one. A b/w set usually has like four of them all in a row if you don't count all the little trimmers for height, linearity, course horizontal, offset, voltage regulation, etc that are ON the board. Also....I wouldn't "play" with any of the tiny pots until you actually have a picture to work with. Just the regular "outside" ones like contrast, brightness, horiz and vertical. Tweaking any that have to do with horizontal that are not the regular outside one...can take the horizontal WAY out of range and can shut down the set if you aren't careful.

Last edited by AiboPet; 09-19-2012 at 08:40 PM.