View Single Post
Old 09-12-2015, 11:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

If the set has been thoroughly and competently restored, I don't think extreme measures are needed. I have restored various color roundies over the years, and my approach is to turn them on and enjoy them. These sets were designed to withstand regular -- often daily -- use.

If you want to be conservative, you could run it through a variac or a "humbucking" transformer that reduces the line voltage to around 117 volts AC, which is the voltage usually specified in the service manuals for these sets. Depending on where you live, the line voltage may run as high as 123 - 125 volts. Dialing back the voltage a few volts might reduce the stress on your set and help its reliability over the long term.

Or, possibly that small percentage difference in the line voltage doesn't really matter. If you visit the Early Television Foundation museum in Ohio, you'll see a number of rare & valuable TVs on display, many of which are played for demonstration at conventions or whenever. As far as I recall, they just turn 'em on, without any special voodoo.

Just my $0.02 . . . .

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html