View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 07:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sometimes one is pleasantly suprised by the quality of the picture and the quality of assembly line, possible even robotic, workmanship of bpc or spc or wpc sets.

Have a Fisher/Sanyo 20" square set that was gifted to me ages ago, if I remember it is a '94 model year - has thousands of hours of playtime - still an incredible picture.

Have a Sanyo DS25380 - don't remember where the hell I picked this one up at - after entering the menu and readjusting color, tint, brightness, contrast -it has a great picture - one of my favorite daily watchers.

Bought a Panasonic CTN-1942R new in 1991 - still looks new cosmetically and still has a stunning picture after many hundreds, probably thousands of hours of playtime.

Even a 1988 Magnavox Perfect View 5" color television/am/fm portable combo I picked up for a dollar at an estate sale still works and looks as new and has an unbelievable picture for a 5" set - of course the changeover to digital signals has all but rendered this little gem useless.

Thousands of hours of playtime on these set and no repairs - not on my workbench or anyone elses - I wonder how many hours your common garden variety tube driven set has spent on a workbench?

BTW - I wonder how/where that goof ball who "retrofitted" a bpc set into an Admiral Super Cascode found a color tube with the geometry to match that mask/bezel. I have that set in my collection -excepting that mine is in the ever popular "limed oak" finish - and that set as originally produced certainly deserves its nickname of a "bug eye" set.

Last edited by RobtWB; 06-09-2010 at 08:11 PM. Reason: addition