View Single Post
Old 03-10-2011, 02:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks again all! I will have to check those sites for capacitors for the electrolytics in the power supply. I also heard I need to replace pretty much every other paper cap to get a good picture like it was new. I will assume that the ceramics are still good. I would like to know where to get a color code chart for them, assuming there was a standardized one over the years, in case anyone has a link or something.

I also know the other old AA5's have small power supplies, but I thought the ones in the 50's and 60's were designed without to make them cheaper. I heard they were grounded to the chassis or something and this is why they are dangerous. I have been shocked by an old Westinghouse AA5 from 1954 a few times.

"Many early examples of the 'All-American Five' posed a shock hazard to their owners. Lacking a mains transformer, the chassis of the AA5 radio was directly connected to one side of the mains electric supply." I'm might be wrong, but I am just quoting Wikipedia.

I would love to use this set in the cellar in my sitting area on a regular basis if I can get it working. I have faith in myself now, and I guess that's what counts. I do agree atleast the picture tube in those flatscreens goes after a year or two. Waste of money.