View Single Post
Old 07-01-2018, 01:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by compucat View Post
I disconnected the hv rect plate cap and it did arc but swapping rectifiers produced the same result, red plating. I took the cap off of the shunt regulator but that made no change either. I wonder if there is a problem with the fly back high voltage winding. When it failed, there was this loud hissing sound like I have heard before from failed flybacks and that telltale smell of burning windings. I suppose 53 years is a good run to get out of an original flyback. When my wife finds out it is not working she will be after me to get rid of it. She does not share my passion for vintage electronics, especially big items like a round tube console tv.
I wouldn't power it up anymore until a better investigation is made inside the H/V cage.
If the weather is anything like it has been around here, with high humidity, it's the perfect time for insulation breakdown problems. A strong possibility that the H/V rect filament winding punctured. This overcurrent condition can easily waste the horiz output tube or maybe the flyback.
Long stretches of this kind weather meant a lot of flyback failures, especially RCA's.
Audiokarma