View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 01:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbivy View Post
well i scrubbed my atari 7800's board with rubbing alcohol.. nothing else has worked. used a bras brush on the connector pins. bought a new power pack and well..she works now. but is very very touchy, even tapping her ..she will stop working..so, i dunno whats wrong.
I don't even know exactly what this board looks like, but if it's like any other PCB, and going by your symptoms, you might try reheating each solder joint on the board if you can not localize the general area where a connection is erratically intermittent. Since there is an IC or chip involved, the problem could be inside of one of those components, but since the unit works part of the time, its probably a bad connection. Be careful with the heat that you apply when working with any PCB, especially around ICs, and chips! If when you say that it "stops working" the unit is dead, as in no power, then the on/off switch might be dirty or worn out. Spraying some contact cleaner and working the switch might fix that. I can remember working that switch back and forth over and over rapidly because you would get different strange displays on the screen, which as kids we found interesting, however destructive.

I have a real nice Sears Tele-Games that was mentioned earlier in this thread (I think), but for the moment another party has expressed interest in it. I have been so busy that I have not even had time to get a quote on the shipping cost to send it to him in order to see if his offer would be do-able. If he is no longer interested I will re-post it for sale.