View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 04:26 PM
AK Member

How much is not a lot? It will mean different things to diffeent persons. I the real low range, find a Eton S350DL. About $100 new. An analog radio with a digital readout. The FM has a mpx output through the line outputs and the headphones. AM does not have an external antenna connection but has a long built-in rod and pulls well. The SW and FM have external antenna connections or can use a fairly long whip antenna. The AM and FM pull quite well and sound good. The AM has a narrow and wide band. No SSB. The SW is not great about 15mhz but below that it is sensitive, Comparable to my Hallicrafters SW-500.

If you want more sensitivity or even better audio there are filter mods available.

I have 2 of these, one in my office and the other besides the bed. In the office, it is the only radio that will pick up AM. All others I've tried get nothing but static.

OTOH, therfe is the vintage option. My Hallicrafters SW-500 tube radio only cost $25 in working condition. Only needed a litter control cleaning. It came with a set of magnetic headphones and is a lot of old time fun for as a kid I owned a S38C.
Audiokarma