View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 03:38 PM
waltzing with sin

If a couple hundred dollars isn't much, the Sony 2010 is hard to beat in the portable zone.

Or more than 200, now that it's discontinued. At 300 or so it puts it in the same price category of a Grundig Satellit, which SQ wise far outclasses the 2010.

If you want something paperback sized, I like my Grundig YB-400. I've owned a Sony SW7600G, SW7600GR, and one-time Sangean TOTL ATS-909, all about the same size and continuous coverage SW with FM and AM. The 400 ultimately was the keeper. All have their reception foibles, especially the 909 which pretty much requires an external antenna for decent reception. The 400 is not perfect but it's in the ballpark of the best (the 7600), with the added feature of great audio quality for the size. It makes a big difference when all the power is out and you're turning to your radio for information as well as a little entertainment.

For longer lasting power, choose one with a crank, although I have yet to find one those I like; or a bigger portable like the 2010, one that has room for D cells. Older analog units like the Sony SW5500 or the Panasonic RF-2200 will last a pretty long time on 4 D cells or so.