View Single Post
Old 11-20-2010, 06:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

Packard Bell console

NOS set, only two issues, vert height (50uf cap in vert circuit) and no sync (horz and vert).

the vert was easy, the sync turned into a tough dog. its a hybrid (IF/sync transistor, all the rest tube). after chasing my tail for a few days I finally checked the bias pot on the noise inverter. I cant recall if i checked this early on (its a 100 ohm trim pot) but even if I did I think I may have been misled due to its connection to a transistor in the circuit (dont recall if I swapped the meter leads). needless to say after days of putzing around I finally managed check it again. I had noticed the adj of that pot had confusing results on the scope of the sync pulse, still did not dawn on me. I think I may have been too deep into it (forest for the trees....) Anyway after a good rest I check there again and found it open. This would totally screw the bias of the noise inverter transistor and I assume it was cutting off the sync completely. A trip to the surplus store resulted in a very nice precision pot (overkill but it was the only small 100ohm pot they had). A little micro surgery to remove the old and replace with this (all in the same location so adj is easy to get at), on the PCB (there are 3 trim pots on a single board).

finally after days, and countless pulling of the chassis, I plug in and get a perfect lock. I also now see what it should have looked like all along (the sync pulse that is).

I still need to check the cathode current but other than that I can stick a fork in it. I will get a pic later.

One other thing, its a remote set, so I will be looking for a clicker for it.