View Single Post
Old 08-03-2023, 12:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Good/Better news: Circuit breaker had tripped for the low voltage circuit protection I realized when I tried turning the tv on again, which mean the breaker did its job correctly! I reset it and after testing the tv again I for the first time ever was able to get as as far as seeing ANYTHING on the screen including vertical deflection with no trouble. Solid state audio circuit still working fine as well. However a few moments after vertical deflection was achieved the CRT seemed VERY bright almost like HV was way too high, and elecricity was going all over the inside of the CRT and (possibly outside and arcing over to one of the terminals of the focus divider before a surge of electricity or current made it way from the flyback to the 6KD6 horizonal output tube tip which was very visible and a bright brief glow happened before going back to looking normal. Nonetheless I quickly turned the tv off as soon as I heard the audible arcing. I was stunned at how bright the CRT was, I knew it was good on emissions and lowish hour but that was the brightest CRT in a hybrid or full tube set I have encountered so far.

My possible suspects of this issue are: The HV anode was somehow not on firmly enough, carbon tracing around the HV anode due to dirt or dust? Bad Focus divider? Yoke seems to be ok. I did not smell or see anything that was suggesting any shorts. I did not screw in the chasses to the wooden cabinet as I had grown tired of doing that only to have to take it out over and over so the focus divider may have been too close to the CRT aquadag and encourage an arc that way?

While I am not out of the woods yet with this tv's troubles, I am able to run the tv to the point now where I get visible static on the tv, sounds of static, a raster line and then vertical deflection! A good morale boost for me considering how much I have had to fight this tv.

Pics of this issue and situation: https://imgur.com/a/2ccF0ux
Audiokarma