View Single Post
Old 08-02-2023, 09:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

I looked over all the connections and sure enough one of the wire going to the flyback from the chassis was on post X when it should have been on post 9. I am not entirely surprised that I made the mistake though since I was probably tired when I was working on it. All the other wires though are as they should be. I did another inspection of the whole chassis to look for any other potential issues. I noticed the socket where the thermistor and degaussing coil plug into the chassis is VERY loose and questionable. The pins were basically floating up and down and had way too much give making a possible connection issue where one or two of the four pins may not have been making good contact if any at all.

I was not always turning the tv on with the degausser plugged in (usually not) The last time I know I didn't because I did not want the degausser to be a potential issue at this time. Aside from that I saw no apparent connection issues, but I find it concerning how Ford Philco had sloppily wound wires onto posts and how easily bent many posts also were. It is not a surprise to me that this tv has numerous electrical problem despite being low hours for its age.

I corrected the wiring mistake I made on the flyback and will be conducting another test soon to observe cautiously for any other signs of trouble. Any recommendations on where to set horizontal bias control or any of the other controls for initial setup? Service mode vs normal? ect. I have a HV probe to check HV but a bit nervous about doing it and getting zapped. Can I use the oldschool RCA HV probe I have with a standard multimeter safely?