View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 04:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Motorola consoe score

I made a trip to the local flea market today and the owner, who knows I like old electronics, said he had an old record player that he thought I might be interested in. After looking, it didn't take long to realize that this was one of Motorola's higher end units. It looks to have a 15"-18" center channel bass speaker and the two other speakers are mounted on the front cabinet doors and swing out when in use. I have not looked very close; but, the amp looks like it has 6 EL84's in it and this unit does have the vibra-sonic reverb unit. There is also a tuning eye and selections for 78 or LP EQ curves. The record changer is a VM built unit and the cartridge looks like a sonotone ceramic. The cabinet is made by Drexel, looks to be solid wood, and the whole stereo weighs a ton. I'm sure this will be a fine unit when restored and I don't think I did too bad for $25. And, before anyone suggest it, I'm not gutting this. This is too nice to scrap and it's a change from the usual coffin stereo. BTW, I need to find some door pulls for the cabinet; but, it is in otherwise nice shape.