View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 09:41 PM
Restoring an admiral c322

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
My sentiments exactly. I don't know what type CRT is in your set, but if it's a rare one, I'd tape the socket so it won't move, as DaveWM suggested, and forget it for the time being, as long as you are restoring the TV. I had a bad experience with a CRT in a Philco "Microgrid 390" TV I rescued from a curb years ago. The socket came completely off the neck of the CRT, so I just soldered the leads from the TV chassis to the wires protruding from the neck. It worked for a short time, but eventually one of the wires broke off, shorted to another lead, there was a good sized spark, and ...

I wound up junking the set soon after that, as I was in no position at the time to look around for a used tube. Too bad, since the Microgrid series was one of Philco's best b&w TVs of the 1950s, with a cascode tuner and an excellent sound system. I was surprised the set didn't have a phonograph pickup input on the rear of the chassis--that's how good the sound was. I had a Zenith K-2739 1963 b&w 23" TV with a good audio system as well, but that set did not have a phono input either; why, I'll never know, since the set had a 6BN6 gated-beam audio stage, 6BQ5 output and a 6x9 oval speaker in the base of the cabinet, below the CRT. That TV easily had the best mono sound system of any set I owned before or since then, although today it is possible to connect a flat-panel TV to a stereo system and have better sound than even the best mono TV audio systems produced 50-60 years ago.
The CRT is a 21CYP22 not too common these days.

Admiral C322C2 Regent (Restoring)
RCA CTC-7 Pensbury (Restored)
RCA CTC-5 Westcott (Restored)
CRA CTC--4 Director 21 (Restoring)