View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 10:39 PM
RCA 741PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmeyer View Post
Bandersen -

I'm so thankful for this thread. A couple days after you found your WR-8, I found a WR-8-R, and I've found your thread to be such a help as I've gone through a similar restoration process. It was a huge help to see how you tackled the caps, etc. PLEASE keep posting pics and explanations of what you found worked. I'm especially interested to see how you're going to handle the rest of the caps. There's at least one that's in a box with a choke coil, I believe. Anyway, thanks again, and please keep posting your progress!

Zach

Hi Zach, glad you're enjoying my posts and don't worry - I'll keep them coming. I've just been sidetracked with restoring a couple TVs. I get distracted pretty easily by shiny new toys

Here's are some pics to tide you over until I get back to working on it in a week or two.

Here's the toner lacquer I'm going to use. Dark Walnut on the body and Golden Oak on the center board.

I also picked up some Leather Brown for the power chassis.

Finally, here are those boxes you asked about. I do plan on popping them open and restuffing. The larger has a 1.0, 0.5 0.1 and 0.1 MFD cap inside. My replacement polypropylene should fit with room to spare.

However, the smaller cap just takes a single 1.0 MFD and I don't think my new one will fit
I might need one that's a little "flatter".

I don't think there's a choke coil in either box though. Here's the schematic I'm working from. http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByM...3/M0040343.pdf

I really love that old style wiring diagram. It's so easy to trace the wiring!

Last edited by bandersen; 01-19-2010 at 02:30 AM.