View Single Post
Old 04-15-2023, 11:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

So when I play the tape to the end

in "normal" mode, it stops and rewinds.

in "real time" mode, it stops (display shows square "stop" icon)

Owner's manual oddly doesn't state what should happen at end of a tape, but these actions seem reasonable to me and actually kind of thoughtful - if you were using the real time counter and meant to rewind the tape, you might want to go to "normal" mode before doing so to save head/tape wear.

Apparently before, I must have come back in the room after the tape had passed the end of the recorded program, but before it actually reached the end of the physical tape, and the counter was in "real time" mode and not advancing, and that's what prompted that whole line of questioning. I did notice that the real time counter did not advance after the end of the program, but before the tape actually hit the end. So, mystery solved.

So, other than the noisy drum and the slipping idler, I think I'm good.

I'm pretty sure, having looked up pictures online, that the "Idler Assembly" PRB VA80 and/or replacement tire PRB ST1.205 are what I need. Any advice on removing? It looks like it just pulls straight up with a little plastic friction thingy but not having the manual I don't know.

Any idea on the noise? After picking the unit up and dropping it from about 1" while running (a time honored percussive repair technique) it's quiet again, but for how long?

Last edited by n8nagel; 04-15-2023 at 12:09 PM.