View Single Post
Old 04-15-2023, 11:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the explanation Tom. I really did try to Google this stuff but didn't find much, I now know a crapton more about these things than I did before. So, I popped the covers off this thing again and what did I find?

1) The tape only wraps around the drum in FF and REW when the counter is in "real time" mode not "normal" mode. Now that I know there's a drum and a linear head, I've ID'd the linear head, but on this unit there appears to be no intermediate stage to engage only that head and not the drum. So: lesson, don't leave the counter in "real time" mode when rewinding unless you have a reason to do so.

2) If I leave the counter in "normal" mode, and play or FF the tape to the end, it stops and begins rewinding. I have not seen what happens in "real time" mode with the cover off so I can 100% verify that it has reached the end of the tape. I'm checking that now. So, so far, no problem identified.

3) Unfortunately, while the unit appears to play and REW fine, in FF mode I think the big roller that engages the take up reel is slipping. I've tried to clean it a little but it's not doing the do. What to do here? Would that be the "Idler Assembly"? There is a PRB part for that and also just the tire.

4) the high pitched noise coming from the drum area is now not going away within a few seconds when I start it anymore, it's taking longer and longer each time I play it. What to do here?

I really wish I could find a scan of the service manual for this as I've become accustomed to with audio stuff, but such is life. On the flip side, this is mostly working, whereas the cassette deck I was hoping to revive as well seems to have more major problems.