View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 11:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

I almost believe me and Tom (Electronic M) are the youngest members here that are so involved with old televisions like this.

I'm 29, and I was born in 1986. My earliest memories are of that Zenith Television I still have, and use this day. Unusually my memory began to retain stuff as early as Late 1987, according to mom when I described what I remember to her.

I grew up in front of a television. I used to remember looking forward to getting home to play Nintendo on my little 13" Sony Trinitron. I still have that set to this day.

I feel older tech, while regarded as "primitive" now, is better built then anything you can walk out and purchase now from (Big box store of choice), and nothing lasts like it used too. Craftsmanship is gone, quality is gone. Nothing feels quite like watching an old CRT television, the bright colors, the smooth image, the easy to understand functions, that reflection of the glass screen when lights are near.

Yeah, you can go out to (big box store) and buy a 32" TV for almost under $200 now from some Asian company no one has ever heard of, and it'll last you two or three years.

I remember when a 32" Sony cost upwards of a grand plus for the better models, and many of those are still working to this day.

Getting off topic.

I found my way in to antique television when I was a kid. I always liked vacuum tube radios, and I had a few when I was 14/15, and then I learned TV's had tubes too! It went from there. I just love antique televisions. I want to preserve them, and enjoy them, and let them stand as a testament to a lost piece of history.

All my "cool kids" friends can watch their HDTV LED flat monstrosities at their home, then they come visit me in my home and they're totally blown away by my old televisions, and most have never even SEEN a television as old as mine are, and they sit down, with excitement, and watch my vintage sets in total awe. I put on some classic Star Trek or something, and it's all smiles, and "wow this is the coolest thing!", and they watch with out ever thinking twice that they're looking in to a 50+ year old screen.

Nothing, and I do mean NOTHING compares to watching classic TV, on a classic TV set.

I get a real delight from the smiles my old TV's bring when people see them, and watch them for the first time. I get endless enjoyment from them, my self. I always like to sit back and watch my color roundy, even with the vertical issues, I still enjoy it