Thread: Is this gas?
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2017, 11:08 PM
Followin' the Rules...

If you had access to a BD-10, it would surely tell you, and tell you where the leak was, if any. Channel Master gave one to all distributors of CRTs to check duds - a neck and bell/neck junction test was necessary to identify gassy duds. For the longest time, Channel Master wouldn't accept a gassy dud.

Cain Electronics, where I worked in the 80s had one (actually, still has one..., although they are now PriestCain Electronics...) - the only gassy CRTs I remember seeing were old 21" B/W CRTs. We had one guy, Mike, that was trained on the test by Channel Master, but the training seemed to be aimed at where the BD-10 had to be pointed at on the tube - the gassy ones would glow purple and "vein" out from the leak - move away far enough, and the glow would disappear.. I never received training, just watched Mike testing the duds, and watched the customer's face pale when they realized they weren't getting the dud value credit.

Maybe someone can get one, and have it as a loaner. Used ones are all over eBay. I'm curious if Nick has one at the museum..?
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!