Old 04-11-2014, 08:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3XWT View Post
Here's what I was able to find with xmtr sites:

KRLD-TV 100 KW/ 50KW 463’ HAAT 568’ AGL Cam & Griffin Streets
WBAP-TV 5 KW/2.5KW 490’ HAAT 502’ AGL 39C Barnett St
WFAA-TV 27.1 KW/13.5 350’ HAAT 373’ AGL 3000 Harry Hines Blvd

When in Dallas on business in the late '90's I remember seeing the old WFAA-TV tower near the restaurant my associates and I had supper at. I don't recall the name. But, it was somewhat upscale with you choosing the cut of steak you wanted and cooking it yourself on one of several grills...
3900 Barnett St, Fort Worth - It seems KXAS still has operations there, though they recently moved their studios and offices. They moved their transmitter to Cedar Hill decades ago.

I've read (not able to confirm) that NBC threatened that if 5 did not improve their signal in Dallas, they would pull their affiliation and sign up the then new channel 11 (which would remain independent for decades).

Amateur radio publications of the era had articles about people in Dallas trying to ban ham radio there because of "interference" to channel 5 (the actual interference was almost always the TV set, but the fact that the front end of the TV tuner had to run "wide open" to get the weak signal from Ft. Worth allowed the overload from amateur signals to occur).