View Single Post
Old 07-25-2023, 11:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

1988 27" Curtis Mathes console with an RCA CTC140 chassis

Free set number two is this Curtis Mathes console from 1988, that uses an RCA jug and an RCA CTC140 chassis.

Cosmetically, the cabinet has some moisture-related issues and you can see the main damage in one of the pictures. A new cabinet brace could be made, but given the chassis problems that I'm about to describe, it may not be worth it.

Electronically, it fired up with only sound out of one speaker and no horixontal sync. Then, the picture popped in, with a lot of random streaks flashing across the screen. Then, it lost horizontal sync again. The internal/external speaker switch was flaky and I shot it with cleaner, but that didn't bring back the audio on the silent speaker. When I turned the set off and back on again, the audio came back.

In it's day, the CTC140 was a high-end chassis, but as they age, they had issues with puking capacitors and glue becoming conductive, and I think that's what is going on here.

There's a good chance this one will get parted out and I'll give the cabinet to a dog bed person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CM front.jpg (45.3 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg CM Rear.jpg (38.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg CM back.jpg (43.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg CM damage.jpg (36.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg CM chassis.jpg (45.5 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg CM jack panel.jpg (44.7 KB, 19 views)