Thread: Quality diodes?
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2017, 02:30 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findm-Keepm View Post
Context? Rectifier, Zener, Detector, HV?

If it's a common rectifier/zener/detector/HV, all brands carried by a distributor are fine. Order from Digikey.ca, pre-pay by money order or check, and you get free shipping....to Canada! Read their terms and conditions page for the juice...I only once have paid shipping to Digikey.....

Don't bother with the lesser voltage rectifiers - a 1A 1000V 1N4007 replaces 90% of the rectifiers you'll encounter (the other 10% are fast recovery types used in scan-derived/flyback secondary supplies or Booted B+ applications.).

As for tubes, I always convert 6X5 supplies to fused protected silicon rectifiers.

HV? I look for NOS silicon or selenium stick types - the Siemens or GE branded stuff. Good stuff, even now. Selenium, you say? Sealed in epoxy, and not the stacked plate low voltage "Oh-my-gosh-get-it-outta-there" stuff. GE and Motorola OEM stuff ( with their TV part numbering...)is what I'm always hunting eBay for...
Not sure what context means but currently I need a 1A 600V rectifier and a 6.8V 1W zener, not to mention a 50 ohm, 5W 5% ceramic cement power resistor, hard to find quality examples of those things. Good to have the goods on the other applications though.

That's a pretty good trick for dealing with Digikey, I'll keep that in mind.

Last edited by Jon A.; 07-26-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Audiokarma