View Single Post
Old 10-14-2013, 03:30 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanAlley View Post
Okay, spent the better part of today looking into why the setup doesn't produce a line. This is what I found out, but not why or how to fix.....

The G1 voltage controls brightness and the higher the voltage, the dimmer the output. The voltage should be around 142V for normal and actually measures out around 147 - 150V. That's not too bad. It's when the setup mode is entered that things change. The voltage of the G1s goes up to 190V and that must be why I can't see the lines when adjusting the G2. 190V is making it too dim to see.

Now why the voltage goes up that high is beyond me. I looked over the schematics and see an 18K and a 1.8K resistor on the setup side of the switch and am not sure if one of those (or a combination of both) could account for the voltage difference.
Something's wrong with your measurements - either you are not measuring G1, or something else is going on.

G1 voltage higher = more brightness. Cathode (K) voltage higher = less brightness. It's mainly the difference between cathode and G1 that controls beam current, so you have to measure both to figure out what's happening.

These voltages *should* change to a predetermined value when you go to the setup mode, so that you can set the G2s for proper cutoff; then when you go to normal, the signals on the cathodes and G1's will produce the right colors.