Thread: CTC-5 on e-Bay
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2003, 03:07 PM
wvsaz

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob
wv,

Yes, kcs-47 is the chassis of the sets I was thinking of. I have two of 'em, but they have 16" round metal crts. Both were really filthy behind the window. In these sets there was a plastic molded insulating frame that the crt set into which from the front was the mask you see behind the glass when looking at the set. I cannot recall the details of any rubber gasket in there.

I haven't pulled the metal CRT out of a color set yet, so I haven't seen how they did this, although I eventually will be as I have to exchange the CRT in my CTC-4 as part of the restoration.

Rob
Rob,

That insulating frame when viewed from the back had a wide gap between its outer lip and the tube's metal cone (mine used a 17GP4). When the sets were made, RCA stuffed a thick piece of light colored foam rubber into that gap. By the time the CRT needed replacement the foam rubber was often dried out and rotted. The frame and safety glass were bigger than the front opening in the cabinet, so in the hidden portions they applied a thin black adhesive rubber strip to seal the air spaces. That stuff turned into a black gooey mess with time. AS built, I don't think the glass surfaces ever got dirty until the integrity of the seals was destroyed.

Btw, that KCS47 chassis is one of the best I've ever seen, performance-wise. It had a full 4 Mhz video IF bandwidth, and full DC restoration. Beautiful, razor sharp picture. Are yours working?
Audiokarma