View Single Post
Old 09-15-2011, 09:42 PM
Administrator

I worked on the knobs on my lunch hour today.
I made a board to mount them on and attached three machine screws to it and one 1/4" bolt for the tuner knob, grind a flat on them and instant knob shafts.

I also extended the IR sensor for the remote with some ribbon cable, also the LED power indicator.

For the power indicator I wanted it to look neat without drilling a hole in the cabinet to mount it, my solution was to drill a hole in one of the knobs instead.

I removed the Brass plated cover and drilled a hole in the knob about the same diameter as the LED, I didn't want it sticking out through the cover though so I only drilled out two of the small squares on the cover and slotted it out as best I could with a drill bit.

The result is a discreet pilot light that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb, at least I hope it doesn't, I haven't turned it on yet to see how it actually looks.

The flash made the LED glow green in the picture so that's a pretty good indication of how it'll look.

The Escutcheon is from a Teletone, it had most of the numbers worn off so I polished it up nice and shiny, I think it looks good, if incorrect. (like that matters here!)

I'd like to install a power button behind the original on/off knob, it'll be push on push off, it shouldn't be too hard to install a micro switch behind a spring loaded shaft, I think there's quite a bit of room behind the knob board and the TV chassis.

Here are some new pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg knobpanel.jpg (12.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg knobledback.jpg (10.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg knobled.jpg (19.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg knobsinplace.jpg (11.2 KB, 19 views)