View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 08:41 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Greetings from Halifax, Nova Scotia

Hi everyone,

I have gotten into collecting solid-state table-top TV sets from the 70s and 80s. I don't actually have any 70s sets at the moment, but I'm hoping for a Zenith that uses one of those electronic-ultrasonic remote controls. My collection started in March when I picked up a free 1987 Sony Trinitron, the exact model being my username. It works fairly well, but I have to turn the sharpness up all the way to get a good picture. Last month I got an RCA XL-100 whose original owner purchased it in 1987. The owner originally wanted 30 dollars for it but ended up giving it to me, I guess he liked my enthusiasm for these things. :-) Most recently I bought a 1982 RCA ColorTrak model FGR4/8WR that wipes the floor with the Sony as far as sharpness goes. Certain front panel buttons need cleaning, but that is its only ill. The simulated woodgrain cabinet is nearly perfect. I just don't care for the styling of newer TVs; when I got the Sony cleaned up, set up and verified working, my 2005 Sanyo 20-inch flat-screen CRT set went to the curb for someone to take.

I also like stereo equipment of the same vintage, mainly tape systems, but I guess I'll save that for audiokarma.

Cheers

Last edited by Jon A.; 06-03-2013 at 04:13 PM.