View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 09:55 PM
ARC Tech-109

Ok Ive read this entire thread and agree, todays TV is nothing more than throw-away crap that isnt worth watching on a throw-away cube set. The only thing "modern' I care to watch is Law & Order and thankfully my Magnavox Astrosonic overscans enough to hide that worthless watermark. I use the commercial breaks to expel my used mtn.dew or grab another cold can.
My fondest TV memories before age 10 are watching Hawaii 5-0 followed by Adam-12 during the weekday evenings and weekends were World of Disney and Wild Kingdom all in bold Living Color on our Zenith Chromacolor set. If I got lucky and my dad wasn't watching football I could watch the fake wrestling matches with the MadDog, Andre The Giant and Mean Gene then follow it up with ABC's Wide World Of Sports. After school I would do my homework to the likes of Scooby-Do followed by Superman and whatever else the old KMSP-9 could string into the film chain at the time. (Screen Gems?) We had no watermarks or sliding titles like CNN, no "cram it down your throat" advertising infomercials or commercial clock, everything just happened when it did.
When I was 11 or 12 I had my own color set, RCA CTC-22 and could watch the Brady Bunch or M*A*S*H re-runs in my room with my mom sitting in my bean-bag chair sewing or whatever while my dad watched the monday night football games... mom hated football! I loved the old Plymouths and Olds Vista Crusier wagons on those shows, call me wierd I dont care!
Today the only thing I will watch on daytime TV are re-runs of 5-0 followed by Magnum PI and Little dump on the prairie. I have a Sony KV-4000 at my bench where I work and I hijack the shop antenna, everyone including the managers know better than to interrupt 5-0. At home I will watch the local news if I get home in time and Law & Order, nothing else is even worth the time of warming up the set to watch. One of the local channels was running the old Superman series but cut them short of the first color films for whatever reason, I have a soft spot for these because Noel Neil and my grandmother were best friends at Washburn High.

Now can anyone confirm that the entire Hawaii 5-0 series was coming out on DVD? Wish it was laserdisc as my Magnavox goes nuts over the "anti-copy" crap in the vertical bar, oh well maybe those rose colored glasses will come in handy, at least NO WATERMARKS!

Someone here made the mention of watching Ren & Stimpy would be best watched on a roundie? Ok to each their own like my old MoPars but the only thing I could salvage out of that series would be a LOG commercial, even my kid won't put up with Ren let alone Bevis and Buttplug. Actually he's not a kid anymore but spent a considerable amount of time watching TV during the 90s growing up. I actually got him hooked on 5-0 and now he tapes it for me so I can watch it on a period correct set minus the worthless commercial aimed at the low-life unemployed couch potatos, since when can you get a 4 year degree in just one year with all those operators standing-by? My kid works for the railroad dispatching overnight (CPR MN Disp) so he's home during the day.

Can anyone identify the Motorola radio series used in McGarrets car? I can and I have 9 working copies!

Ok Im going to find a good disc to drop into my VP-1000a and get the fireplace going, Empire Strikes Back is in order tonight on my Astrosonic.

Better late than never post from ARC tech-109