View Single Post
Old 04-06-2017, 03:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

80s tube cams fun

Thank Wayne, again, for the clarification.

I recall being at a meeting with the late Carl Eilers, who said the VTR modification would "amount to a xtal change." That might have been an oversimplification, so I stand corrected.

Before the Tek designed format converter arrived at the ATTC, we were likely recording at 1050i (2x 525i) at NBC/RCA with the Bosch camera and Sony VTR. I know we didn't lug a format converter around on remotes!

Some people in the HD committees wanted to perform all tests in 1125 lines-you can guess who. I'll give Charlie Rhodes credit for standing his ground on non-converted source material.

The Sony VTR/tape combination was very tricky. I recall a visit by the Sony field engineer who cleaned our machine, and the bit errors were low. Satisfied, he left for the trip back to NJ. Gradually, throughout the day, the bers began climbing on the VTR, until it was unusable.

I called the field engineer's home number, and told his wife that we needed him back in the Midwest. "Oh, he just walked in.." Needless to say, he didn't want to return.

Wayne-remember that day?