View Single Post
Old 10-02-2016, 06:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Tx View Post
Someone needs to show you how to check tape path alignment with an o'scope. Very important test and observation when servicing VCRs.

One way to test if the hi-fi heads are worn or partially clogged, would be to record and playback. If one or both heads are not working properly recording and playback will bring out the problem. If it does that with solid hi-fi tracking and no audio noise the heads are probably fine. Seen many VCRs in the day that would play back hi-fi on good tapes but would have flutter noise or just not switch to hi-fi at all on self-recordings if the hi-fi heads were too worn.

The Monty Python tape could have been recorded a bit out of alignment or head switching point was off, or the tape is damaged, stretched or curled along an edge, don't know and can't tell without looking.
Well the Oscilloscope I have has its original manual with it but its an older unit that has tubes in it (the really small five pin tubes) so I don't know if the manual will say anything about how to check video paths on a VCR o not (at least not a VHS unit, maybe a U-Matic deck unit but not a VHS unit). Also the tape at the very beginning (the Monty Python tape) was damaged a little bit but surprisingly enough all it did was make the video slightly jumpy and that's it the audio issue I figured was because of the damage at the begining but when it continued to do it even after the damaged part then I figured that probably there was something either wrong with the VHS deck itself or the Tape itself was damaged or possibly was recorded in a funky manner, but like I said when I tried another tape out on it, the other tape played fine with no audio tracking errors whatsoever.

Last edited by Captainclock; 10-02-2016 at 06:52 PM.