Thread: Roundies
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2008, 01:50 AM
AK Member

Motorola Stereos

I'd say she's solid state, probably a '66 or therabouts; more than likely a relative of an SK520CW, especially it it has a VM reel to reel tape deck. Looks similar to two I have. I'd buy it if I were you, they were damn good machines.

My father owned one of these babies when I was a kid - they called them "Motorola 100s". Turntable, AM-FM Stereo, and tape deck. Also came in TV/Stereo combinations using a TS-915 (Motorola Quasar) or TS-921 TV chassis. Didn't sound too bad, maybe 15 watts RMS per channel into 16 ohms, used 10 inch woofers, 5 1/4 midrange tweeters, and a pair of exponential horns that one could turn on or off using a blue colored rocker switch. They loved to blow the midrange tweeters, dad ended up buying four replacements in all, and I now own the very machine he left behind, an SK528DW from '67. Sits in my den with several dilapidated Zenith Transoceanics; haven't played her in decades.

Incidentally folks, I forgot to add that I have a pair of TS-4 Motorolas from 1949 occupying a dusty corner somewhere - you know, the little table models that had channel 1. They're rather common, so that shouldn't surprise anyone here.