View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 07:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
I've never seen one that didn't have leaking caps, but it's possible they made some with good caps from a different lot. It was definitely a case of using a bad batch of caps. The caps don't bulge, they just leak through the bottom rubber seals. It's not related to use; I've seen new old stock ones that were full of leaking caps. The problem caps are the 105 degree high temperature caps.

There are some caps hidden under the metal shield on the bottom PCB.

You can replace the glass fuse with any style of fuse with the same specs. Through hole PCB mount fuses are easy to find. It can be tricky to solder wires to a glass fuse without the ends falling off.

Did it come with the original power adapter? If not, the fuse might be blown due to incorrect polarity. It has a negative tip, and most power adapters have the top as positive.

Once the caps have been replaced, and the boards cleaned and repaired, they are actually very reliable. I have never seen a failure that wasn't the direct result of leaking caps.
Thanks so much for chiming in. Now that I look close there are def a few that have gone. One is leaking out of the side and 2 others are leaking out of the bottom and you can see where a bit of corrosion has set in on the underside of the board where the legs come through. So do you replace literally every cap? even the tiny ones without the scored tops? better yet do you happen to have a list of all the required caps needed for the job? An old digikey shopping list would be super helpful. Would certainly be willing to throw a few bucks your way for the effort.

Also now that you say that about the power adapter the blown fuse may be my own fault. It did come with the original power adapter but when i plugged it in at the thrift store to test the tv i got nothing. when i grabbed the adapter i accidentally dropped it on the floor so i thought it might be possible that i accidentally broke it. I grabbed another adapter of the same spec and tried again but nothing. That may be where it popped because before i distinctly remember hearing a noise come through the speaker when i initially plugged it in but after trying the other adapter i got nothing.

Ill post pictures here in a bit.