View Single Post
Old 09-11-2014, 12:04 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhalphen View Post
Hi Electronic_M,

The machine is powerful enough for XP: Pentium IV 2GHz, Asus P4B-266 motherboard, Mega-tower format, 3x 120GB HDD, 3.5" floppy, Asus CD-ROM, LiteOn 48x CD-Burner, DVD via SCSI, G-Force graphics.
2GB RAM but i would add more (WIN98SE wouldn't allow that).

My concerns:
- Buying XP today, preferably a french version, i need the AZERTY keyboard with accented characters for text work.

XP not being supported by Microsoft any more, what about the final registration of the OS?

Would this imply the need of a "cracked" version?

Best Regards

jhalphen
Paris/France
Non-english keyboard support in windows is something I don't have any knowledge on. I hear Ubuntu is good with foreign language keyboards.

There are various places like 'the pirate bay' where 'cracked' (if I'm properly understanding what you mean by that) OS versions can be gotten, However I don't know if they have the language support you want.

You may have to do some digging to determine what the best course of action is for you. If you depend on that computer then I suggest getting a cheap hard drive, install whatever OS configuration you want to try on it, and confirm it meets your needs before over writing the your current OS on your current hard drive.

And for all I know 98 may be a good OS when it is not run on a memory starved, virus/malware infested clunker. Mine used to take long enough to load/preform many programs that one could walk away and make a sandwich while waiting. What was the end of the OS was when something took out it's ability to connect to the internet...It was using a dial-up modem back then, but latter attempts to get it to work with LAN networking also failed so it came time to start anew...

Whatever you choose to do with it I wish you luck.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4