View Single Post
Old 04-15-2015, 08:11 PM
1949 Motorola 9VT1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
Again, I think it goes back to an issue of AGE. For me, having a Color TV as a kid was sorta short-hand for "Being RICH"... Roundies often as not were in EXPENSIVE cabinets, w/fancy record players & radios. Their owners always took care of them, I guess that's one reason so many still survive today. But now, you buy an expensive TV & its sorta "Meh..."Just an ugly black/dark grey billboard looking thing, NO pizazz, no fabulous cabinetry to telegraph to visitors, "This guy who bought me is WEALTHY, has WONDERFUL taste in things, etc... You would be WELL-ADVISED to emulate him..." That's ANOTHER part of the mystique of my Porthole Zenith, I think-Having ANY TV was still a Big Deal in 1949/'50, & having a ZENITH kinda marked you as a "Heavy-hitter"...
That is probably the thing I miss most about the older sets is the furniture style cabinets. There is something so beautiful about a round tube TV in a stylish cabinet that brings elegance to a room. Even the plastic wood grain cabinets were nice. One everything went to all black or silver, the style was lost. Large black flat panels just look strange in an otherwise tastefully decorated room.