View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 02:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Fix it or replace it?

So, several months ago I was at the junkyard when I came upon an old Econoline motor home. I sort of felt bad about it being junked, and when I looked around inside it, I found its vintage stereo just hanging out of the dash by the wires. When I figured out it was an 8 track player, I got it.

Hooked it up to my 12V transformer and a couple of stereo speakers, and it worked, both as a radio and a tape player. I hooked it up to four stereo speakers and it makes a decent sound, plus it made me dig out my 8 track collection and start listening to them again.

Fast forward to last night: I was listening to Led Zeppelin when suddenly the deck fell silent. It appears that the drive belt (which was kind of suspect to begin with) broke. So, my question is: is it worth fixing this tape player? Or just try to find a replacement unit, maybe one that didn't have quite as rough a life as this one...or is it worth it to try and open this radio up to see if belt replacement is possible?

I kind of like having a car stereo as the house stereo, I live in a smaller place now and its convenient. What are peoples' thoughts?