View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 09:04 PM
"micro" and quirky

Location: I'm in San Diego, but lived in Hong Kong for a long time
NO!.....You don't "use the parts until they die" on a TV set. The "dead part" if left unnatended will almost ALWAYS bring the set out of safety tolerances....and then bring down the rest of the parts your "weak" part supports. Yes...you can usually "adjust out" the problem up until you notice the vertical size is "maxed" to one side or something...but it means you have something to tend to BEFORE you suddenly have NO vertical and the set becomes a basket case. Your signature pic shows you tend to just "tolerate" every show looking like you are watching The Coneheads (You are probly too young to know who those guys are.....Look 'em up, they are funny as HELL!). That linearity/height problem is something you HAVE to diagnose. At least get a decent pattern generator so you can SEE there is a problem before it becomes much worse. Even just a good clean crosshatch can be a WONDERFUL tool.