View Single Post
Old 03-20-2017, 03:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
I've had several of these over the years, and although they are pretty cool and have some unique technology behind them, they are vary finicky, and die easily. I'm actually glad to no longer own any of them.

These are not easy to recap. And the problematic caps in these spew corrosive gunk on the circuit boards causing further damage. You may be better off having Andy recap it, he has the experience with these. http://mail.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=122975

You can get the service data from Jerome Halphen here: http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...9&postcount=11

The white one seems to be much scarcer than the black one.

The value is hard to determine, because very few appear in any year on ebay. But they are down from the early 2000's, where a good one could bring in $300-750 depending on condition, complete with the box, etc.

Thank you so much for the response. I first want to say that I dont want anyone to think that I am only interested in what it is worth. I am more interested in the old school technology and the nostalgia factor. Not to mention the challenge of repair. Though I am very much a beginner when it comes to understanding circuits and the components contained within them i am fairly decent with a soldering iron and jump at the chance to further my skills with a new challenge. I would certainly love to get Andys take on the actual repair process and any tips he may have. When it comes down to it it may end up in his hands anyways .

As far as the caps in my unit it has passed the sight test with flying colors. Not a single cap is bulging and i have not been able to find any signs of a leak. I know this really doesnt mean anything and i still plan to recap but I just thought that was interesting given the fact that its pretty much the first thing you read about when you look these things up. I have tested about four of the caps already with an esr meter and they were all reading slightly above spec telling me that if they arnt bad already they are certainly on their way out. The biggest most obvious issue that i did notice was the blown galss fuse. It make me wonder if this fuse blew earlier in its life which might explain the relative "ok'ness" of the caps. Its all speculation at this point until I am able to get a replacement fuse in. It has been surprisingly hard to find a fuse of that exact type. I have yet to find someone that sells a through hole glass fuse with the same specs as the original. I might just buy a holder style glass fuse and solder the pins from the old one to the new one. after all it does look like the old one was done this way.