View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 01:02 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Sailer View Post
Miniman,

Thanks for the information. I am using them in my application near resonance which is in the 20-30kHz range.

If there is a list somewhere that shows which Thordarson flybacks are used in which TVs that would be potentially
useful information. I might be able to find which TV has has a certain flyback inside.

For example I have a FLY-352 transformer that turns out to be a replacement part for a CTC-22 and runs at 25kV DC.

Electronic M,

I am building my own plasma globes and I need a few power supplies that can get to about 25-30kV peak to peak.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/876383...in/dateposted/

Don't worry that I will be using up too many flybacks. I only need a few good units. The world seems to have
mostly lost the ability to make good high voltage AC coils so I have to find suitable vintage coils.

Cheers.
That sounds like a cool project, however I think your wasting money trying to do it with tube based flybacks/circuitry.

Solid state flybacks are VERY easy to drive into the 25-40KV region. Back in college I was broke and scrapped a lot of curbside 80's - 07 CRT sets. I became fascinated by plasma speakers and decided to build one...It was very easy to do so with a flyback from a free junk modern CRT set. All I needed was a 555 chip for the oscillator/audio modulation driving a power FET, connected to 10-20 turns of wire wrapped around the core of a fly from an Solid State set*, and a 20V power brick for the whole shebang. I had that thing maxing out my HV meter at 40KV and producing crystal clear audio....I even modded the spark gap into a Jacob's ladder for a while (it sounded terrible as a plasma speaker that way, but looked cool) and had ~3-5" arks at the top of the gap.

* I think I can find the web page with the schematic if your interested.

The average tube color TV fly alone is worth $50 or more...For that money you can build several HV supplies with solid state flybacks and parts. You'd be better off selling the tube fly to a collector and building a SS supply.

Whatever you decide to do I'd love to see the end result/circuit design.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 06-09-2017 at 01:05 PM.