View Single Post
Old 11-09-2017, 10:23 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampson159 View Post
my t995 star set has a fantastic picture and maybe the best of all the sets i own.i never inquired who made those crts for them?my e48 with the dark matrix crt is a close second,xl100 running neck and neck.i do remember those admiral sets and some of them had a really fine crt while others had low grade jugs.when those admirals were right,they were right!btw-since back then i never inquired,who built crts for admiral,magnavox,philco before gte,etc?the philco hybrid that i owned had the best picture of any set.my dad bought a d16 slide control sylvania new that had a knockout picture and is still in operation to this day.through the years,i ve saw many sets and there are quite few memorable ones but my favorite was my philco hybrid.few problems except for the electrolytics.had to recap it twice in five years.my first e45 with electronic tuning was great and in its ten year run with me not one problem.those furniture store tv experts!got so many call in regards.they would set up those sets and the complaint was always the same,"it looked much better in the store".usually degauss,set the grayscale and some minor color tint adjustments.paid me well and loved those service calls.back when you could actually make a buck in the business
When your back on your feet, pull the backs on your sets find the CRT label and write down the 3-4 digit EIA number. The EIA number will tell you who REALLY made it. I've seen early Zenith labeled 21FJP22 CRTs with an RCA EIA number on the sticker because Zenith had yet to get their Rauland CRT division to start mass producing color CRTs.

Many maker's sources varied over the years, some times internal sometimes external, sometimes different external from other times....The color shortage of the late 60's caused some of the more unusual sourcing. Sets were selling faster than they could make them and if a make did not own a CRT supply chain, it might grab whatever make CRT it could get in a given week.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4

Last edited by Electronic M; 11-09-2017 at 10:27 AM.