View Single Post
Old 10-02-2023, 08:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
That car looks pretty nice to me! I think they stole the body lines
from the GM mid size cars. ( Olds, Buick, Pontiac, Chevy.).
At first glance I would guess "Olds Cutlass F85".
BTW what is the motor ? Our old mid-size cars came with in-line 6
or a selection of V8's up to 455 cid & over 400 hp. They could be
hard to control !

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Sure, being Opel a subsidiary of GM in those years.

The engine is fully designed in Detroit (named CIH, cam in head engine).

The body is german design, with that Coke shape (" Hüftschwung ") , was consider very sexy for european eyes at that time. There was a straigth line body project, fortunally didn't saw the ligth.

There was two series, the simple models, named Rekord with 4 cyl engines and the elegant series named Commodore with 6 cyl engines. Motors from 1500 cc to 2600 cc. Two and four doors sedans, coupes, stwagons, very few convertibles.

I don’t want to bore translating hp to CV, liters, etc, since the soul of a car is not in the cold numbers.
Yes, there were lights cars with an outdated steering and suspension system, but soft to drive, very reliable and economical. In the mid 60s, american cars become too big and expensive here.

"An even more sporty model than the GS, the Commodore GS/E, debuted in March 1970. It had a 2.5 L engine equipped with Bosch D-jetronic fuel injection system developing 150 PS (110 kW), which gave the car a top speed of 197 km/h (122 mph)" (wiki).

After the end of production in Germany, it was made in Brazil, like the Chevrolet Opala ( Opel body - Impala 6 engines), there with others terminations, and more powerful but hungry engines.
In Brazil it was manufactured till early 90s, replacing most of chrome with black plastics.

Mine is an anemic 1700 cc 82 hp four cylinder, four gear manual. When you press the gas pedal, she says: what? Ha, you want go? hahaha. Ok, let's go to get more of your trash TVs and radios.
Audiokarma