Thread: The WORST ever
View Single Post
Old 01-25-2008, 04:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

I know it's been awhile since anyone brought this up; but, I need to submit an entry. This may not actually be the worst; but, those '80's Panasonic/Quasar "Dynacrap" sets rank pretty high on my "hate" list.

I used to find these during the '90's. Most of them had bad flybacks, weak CRT's, and 10,237 bad solder connections. The most common flyback to go bad in these was the TLF14423F used in 25" sets that were often sold under the GE brand.

The TV shop gave me a nice looking '86 15" Quasar with remote and A/V jacks. The flyback was blown apart and the HOT was shorted. Since the CRT was still good (miracle), I decided to order a generic flyback. Got the set going with no OSD and many obvious loose connections. It seems like the more I soldered on it, the worse it got. The PC board was really cooked in the power supply area. I then realized that the tuner was not receiving several channels. I finally got enough and pulled the chassis for spare parts and tossed the rest! This set reminded me why I hated Quasar/Panasonic sets of the '80's.

Note to self: The next Quasar that comes in with a bad flyback, just throw it in the dumpster!