View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 03:40 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavGoodlin View Post

With small cars, the USA's big 4 took a ham-fisted approach, producing legendary lemons because they could not make money on them. American TV makers did not make too many survivors in small-screen color sets for the same reason. With apologies to Zenith and GE's budget-priced porta-color, Sony kicked their collective bums on that alone!
Zenith had NOTHING to do with the GE-portacolor. If you've ever watched a Zenith 15Y6C15 (their first small screen color set) it is basically a console chassis shoehorned into a tiny cabinet, and puts out a picture as good as any good console (heck it looks better than some consoles). All Zenith portable color sets I've seen were pretty well on par picture quality wise with their console cousins...And almost as heavy!
Comparing or lumping together a Zenith portable with a GE portacolor is like comparing a Ferrari to a Yugo...
The jap small screen sets usually fell somewhere between Zenith and GE on picture, but were close to GE on price, and thus were a good initial value.
The jap sets as I understand it were a lot like RCA portables...Good preforming in the beginning, but after a few years an unreliable dog that didn't want to make a picture as good as when bought even with much coaxing.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4