View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 04:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAkid View Post
Not to wax too nostalgic here but while I was just a tyke in 1969, sitting in front of my beautiful CTC-21 seeing man land on the moon...it is something I hardly, if at all really remember but that moment in time came through that set and through those speakers and was a magnet for my family that we all shared together.

I also think of the older 40's and 50's tv's and radios that were parts of so many different people's lives. Some of these radios heard Roosevelt on December 7, 1941. They living history beamed into their very living rooms. They heard and saw incredible moments in time from the Korean war to Uncle Milty to Jack Benny and back again. These wonderful old machines carry the ghosts of those who cherished them and they are very special.

Very well put. I'm not the best writer, but I'll try to translate my thoughts into words here:

A large chunk of what collecting is, is that it's usually items that evoke memories of (probably) a simpler or more pleasant time in our lives. A big amount of eBay sales is made up of vintage items, and ironically it's mostly folks buying the things [or types of things] they've already owned once before. For us, it just happens to be TV's. So what? Why should any of us even entertain the idea of it being wierd? It's no different than collecting stamps or coins or artwork or buttons or dolls or bottle caps. Some stuff appreciates in value, some doesn't (or hasn't yet). What it boils down to is personal enjoyment of the hobby as well as collectability. The naysayers can't say that vintage TV's aren't worth anything, as I've seen some sets command a pretty healthy price.

Perhaps it's collector envy, as TV repair & restoration requires a working knowledge of electronics and broadcasting theory, as well as other skills like woodworking & refinishing. The end product not only becomes just another piece in a collection, but something that can be used and enjoyed in it's original capacity (much like a classic car for instance). In contrast, the stamp or coin collector merely looks in a book to find it's value, and stores it away for safekeeping.

Also, we're collecting a product that everyone can relate to. Everyone knows what a TV is, and what it does. Everybody has a memory of something TV related in their lives. Television has brought the last couple of generations more information, entertainment and knowledge of our world than any other device on this planet. Who can say that about a Mercury dime or Ken & Barbie or an old Coke bottle? The only people who say folks like us are strange, are those who are only into collecting for either monetary reasons or bragging rights, and are not true hobbyists.

Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.