View Single Post
Old 03-09-2004, 10:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Peter Pan and others

Find a copy (DVD will be more stable) of the 1959 recording of "Peter Pan" with Mary Martin. Available at most video stores or on ebay. The VHS may be out of print though. It was recorded at the old NBC Brooklyn studios in glorious RCA TK-41 color (3 camera shoot). It was mastered from the original video tape about 10 years ago. It does not have the NBC peacock on it though.

Another place is your local PBS affiliate. During fund raisers, they will trot out an old Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Judy Garland song and dance special from the early 60's. Not great color on this one. There is a show with these three called "Once in a Lifetime" on Amazon from 1962. $15 for VHS. Not sure if this the same show.

Another new one just aired here on PBS in Philadelphia this weekend. Again a song and dance special with Carol Channing and Perle Bailey (and I forgot to record it!). It is from 1969. The color is very good and saturated. Not sure what cameras were used. Too good for TK-41's. Possibly TK-42's or a GE. Not the usual bluish cast of a Norelco. I just checked Amazon and it is available there for $23 plus shipping. One hour long. It is called "Carol Channing and Perle Bailey on Broadway".

The rarest would be "An Evening with Fred Astaire" from 1958. Unless the UCLA Film Archives is selling copies of this, what you find would be probably a bootleg and several generations copied. UCLA restored this show several years ago. It is the oldest known color recording to survive. Some copies have the Chrysler commericials in it. So I am told.

You can also buy copies of "The Cisco Kid", a film western from the early 50's. Very good color. Lot's of other color film shows available. "Sgt. Preston of the Yukon" and "Bonanza" come to mind. If you don't mind the new commercials, check TVLand on the cable. "Gunsmoke" is currently on their lineup.

Last edited by Dave A; 03-09-2004 at 10:38 PM.