Thread: CTC 9 kenbridge
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2012, 08:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

I recapped the electrolytics (just mounting replacements under the chassis), and the few paper caps still that were still in this set. Next I'll change that CRT socket. Then run all the tubes through the tester, just to see if anything tests bad. (Which for the most part I'm not expecting, the only problem I'm having being the color and the remote). Then I'll do that chroma oscillator alignment which I expect will fix the color.

Then finally get to why the remote's not working. (I expect the problem is some mechanical issues with stuck gears, as well as bad tubes in the remote chassis, (because it is possible to have the remote chassis on, with the rest of the set off - I often find bad tubes in these, I expect people left TVs on like this for long periods of time) and maybe the remote receiver needs alignment as well) As much as I like the Zenith space commander sets, there's something more impressive about these RCAs where the remote actually turns the vol, tint, and color controls. It uses a single motor for everything with solenoids to switch which control it turns.

What is generally used to clean and lubricate the plastic gears? Some of them are sort of gummed up, I usually clean this sort of thing with lacquer thinner, but I wouldn't use it on anything plastic.