View Single Post
Old 11-06-2021, 04:30 PM
<----Zenith C845

In regard to the now-NLA AC adapter for this radio-phono, I wonder whether it would be possible to build an AC adapter for it. The player only needs two separate power supplies: one for the phono motor, the other for the radio.

BTW, what was or is so special about the original AC adapter? One thing (really, the only thing) I can think of is the unit would have to supply a large, even huge (!), amount of current for the phono motor, but not nearly as much for the radio. I would think the phono motor's batteries did not last long if the phonograph were heavily used. Even though it is only a single-speed turntable, I'm sure the motor drew enough current to exhaust a set of batteries in a hurry.

Would the original AC adapter for this unit be available elsewhere? If I had one of these players and wanted an AC adapter for it, before I built one myself I'd look around on eBay and other auction sites. Certainly, there must be a few such adapters still available on the used market. I can't imagine that (that the adapter is almost impossible to find anymore) unless, of course, there was something very special about the original adapter, such as the size of the transformer used to step down from 110-V AC to the voltages needed to operate the player. My best guess is the transformer in the original AC adapter must have weighed the proverbial ton, making the adapter itself very heavy.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 11-06-2021 at 04:42 PM.