View Single Post
Old 07-08-2015, 11:45 AM
Motorola Minion

I was 3 and visiting my Grandparents in Ft Lauderdale in 1966, they had a new Zenith with a rectangular CRT. when you turned it off, it looked like a kaleidoscope I couldn't wait for my cartoons the next morning on WTVJ-4. That Zenith made it to 1974 when my Grandpa gutted the Italian Provincial cabinet to make a bookcase.
It was replaced with one of the last Hybrids Zenith made before the CCII came out. I suspect the humidity got the best of it in the end as the failure was described as "snap-crackle-pop"

Meanwhile, up in Delray Beach, my Aunt had just gotten the big glorious Magnavox with the grand Tambour doors and excellent sound.
I liked my Gp's Zenith picture better as years went by. That Mag made the move to a farmhouse in Pa in 1969, still sounding great it lasted until a CCII replaced it in 1976. Unfortunately, I was tasked with gutting that Mag for another bookcase

Then it was back home up north and watch the NBC peacock mockingly strut on the BW Motorola (which I still have BTW) until the 1971 23V Zenith arrived one day..and I still have that too!